Friday, May 12, 2006

Introduction

For my first post, an introduction. What struck me about an ancient wayfarer? Two things, mostly. First, of all the functions I assumed in my childhood, the one of messenger to my parents is the one I recall most. My parents agreed on very little in their marriage, and often needed a messenger lest their communication devolve to shouting matches. I was Hermes to their Zeus and Hera.

And as for the other reason, it has to do with my deep interest in history and genealogy. I like to think that Augustine wasn't off track in seeing a continuity in History. The path that history chooses to follow are often winding roads, crossing over itself many times in various places. But the path remains unbroken.

So I hope to put here many interesting pathways that don't seem to have a glaringly obvious connection. Until we follow them.

This allows all sorts of things. Among others, Cicero's hope for all social classes to get along. And, with my genealogical arguments, for a great many of our population to embrace itself as one big family.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home