Wednesday, September 06, 2006

How many paths can one man take?

I was on a trip to Virginia this past weekend to meet an old college friend. While our merry group was busy touring Washington, D. C., I was asked about my opinion on going back to change our pasts. Many of my friends have searched souls to wonder if they could have done things differently by changing past decisions.

I said that I believed in historical inevitability. We may not have gotten to where we are by the same path, but eventually we wind up here. And Life is not a path-defined function. And God does not play dice with the universe. And so on.

Hence the title of my musing. With a nod to Bod Dylan we wondered on our lives and where they were and how five years ago we never would have thought these paths would be the ones we would travel. St. Augustine would approve.

1 Comments:

At 11:19 AM, Blogger Melinda said...

And how many roads must a man walk down before we can call him a man?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home